From Madison's Mom Michelle
We are sharing our story, in hopes of raising awareness about the importance of defibrillators and proper CPR training.
On October 6th, 2011, my 14 year old daughter collapsed in our home from an undiagnosed heart condition. She was not breathing and had no pulse. My son called 9-1-1 and I started CPR. I continued doing compressions until Greg and Tony, our favourite paramedics, arrived and took over. It was the shocks from the defibrillator that brought Madi back to life. Without the defibrillator, the chances of Madi surviving were nil.
We were rushed to Goderich Hospital and airlifted to London's Children's Hospital. She was diagnosed with H.C.M. It was then decided by a huge medical team that Madison would have an I.C.D implanted to prevent further sudden cardiac arrests. We also know two other families who both had children suffer cardiac arrests that year, that live in the area, who were saved by a combination of CPR and defibrillators.
With no signs or symptoms of a heart condition, it is impossible to know when a defibrillator might be needed to save your life. And your knowledge of CPR could be used to save someone else's life. The need for defibrillators and CPR training is extremely high. Please help us to spread awareness, so hopefully no family has to lose a loved one to sudden cardiac arrest.